Monday, June 13, 2011

So I Started a Blog, Now What?

Hi all (grandma). I just wanted to make a quick post to say that I am still here. I am, however, feeling slightly stuck. Have you ever had the feeling like you really really wanted to do something creative and then you get your materials together only to sit down and realize you have no idea what you want to do? And then you are sitting there with all your paints and brushes and a big blank piece of paper and you have no idea when something is going to come to you. But you know you want to paint and you know that as soon as that idea hits you over the head you will come up with something great. And until then you are just staring at the blank canvas with enough intensity to burn a hole in it. That's kind of how I'm feeling about this blog.
I have been waiting for months to start blogging and I finally decided to wing it and figure it out as I go thinking that once I sat down to make posts ideas would come. But, as with any other time I decide to be spontaneous, now that I have started I'm totally freaked out. Where I am going with is this? I am doing this right? Did other people feel this way when they were starting out? I feel strangely obligated to come out of the gate a great blogger with interesting things to say every day and the perfect pictures to go with each theme. I know this is unrealistic, but it's hard to shake. I can't stand not knowing where I'm going to end up or waiting to get there. To make a long story short: I am very impatient. Most people who know me know this as a fact. Why else would I burn my tongue every single time I eat or drink something hot? Yes, I am a spaz, but that's not the answer I was looking for. And no, not because I'm a pig, either.
Between the amount of time I spend reading blogs and thinking about what draws me to certain blogs over others, I felt like I had a pretty good grip on what I wanted to bring to my own blog. But put on the spot, I must say it's overwhelming. Last week, this post from Jess Constable at Makeunder My Life came up on my blog reader and made me feel a little less obsessive, or at least less alone in my obsessive tendencies.
All of this to say, I am still here. I am still figuring this out. I am still trying.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    I have enjoyed your blog. It takes time but it will come together and it will be what you want it to be. My son has a family blog and it helps me to keep up with things. His has evolved over the years. So will yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're doing fine :-) An impatient person could NOT have written all that. There are techniques... Random Word. Think of "I need more ideas about X", open the dictionary at a random page and pass your finger down the entries to the first noun-like thing. Read the very definition. Juxtapose X vs Random Word (formally X po Random Word, po = provocative operation). Easy listening DEMO HERE featuring madly hatted Prodos the Ayn Randian Australian: http://www.prodos.com/archive025dbmharvesting.html

    -- Guess Who

    ReplyDelete